Search for answers or browse our knowledge base.
Document Check-in / Check-out
To make sure the document you have downloaded to work with on your local device is clearly marked as such and others are unable to make accidental changes at the same time, you can Lock the document.
‘Lock File’ button only appears if the resource is shared out to someone with Editor permissions, i.e. there is an actual risk of several people making changes to the file at the same time. During the time a document is locked, it can be viewed and downloaded, but there’s a prominent banner informing about someone working on the file and until it is unlocked no new versions of the file can be uploaded.
To lock or check-out a document, do the following:
- Click on a file that has been shared out with Editor permissions
- Click on the blue ‘Lock File’ button on the right side
- Confirm locking the document
The document unlocks after 6 hours automatically. To unlock the file sooner do this:
- Click on the file to open the details view
- Click on the blue ‘Unlock File’ button on the right side
Here’s a vide overview of how the file locking or check-in / check-out feature works: